Thursday, August 16, 2012

Olive Oil: My new best friend! :D

Olive oil. A natural product that has been on the market for hundreds of years and now all of a sudden, everyone claims to have rediscovered it. Hyped up you say? I say it's hyped up for a reason!
I have been listening to so many people rave about olive oil, and in a way it was always something I did not completely comprehend. But today, I became aware of this treasure. And I wanted to research the matter further and find all the ways olive oil can be introduced into an everyday life.

As we all know, olive oil is mostly a substance used for cooking. There are numerous recipes that include olive oil in books and online. Therefore, I will not be getting to much into that part. Let me just say that olive oil is a very good antioxidant, it contains vitamins A and B and many other antioxidants that help your body get rid of substances such as radiation, smoke (cigarette smoke, but also cars and other) and alcohol. It helps the regeneration of the skin and brings back that healthy glow.
It is also said that olive oil benefits weight loss. Also, it decreases risks of heart disease, prevents cancer, helps digestion, improves brain function, bone health and also, tastes quite nice in my opinion.

But I am much more interested in the different manners one can use olive oil that do not include ingesting it.
Through a list, I am going to explain all the ways I used olive oil, + what I found online that could be interesting.

Lets start from the head down...

HAIR:

-Olive oil is the best to use in hair masks! My personal favorite: olive oil and eggs with a little bit of honey! I mix 5 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of honey. You can also leave out the honey and just do olive oil and eggs, or leave out the eggs and just do honey and olive oil. I put it all into my hair from my ears down (I don't put it on my roots, and also I have pretty thick and long hair, so eye your mixture according to your hair type) and after that, I like to cover my hair with a shower cap or foil and leave that on for about 15 minutes, rinse well. The mask works wonders for my hair. I wouldn't suggest doing it more than once a week though.
-Another thing I like to do to my hair is to put it into my hair while I'm on the beach or at the pool. Just a little bit to protect my hair from the chlorine, the salt and the sun

FACE:

To continue with the list of places you can use olive oil on (which, you will see, is quite long)...
-Olive oil can be used as a mask, mixing olive oil and avocado into a nice paste, leaving it on for 5 to 10 minutes, and then rinsing it off.
-Also, you can mix olive oil, an egg and honey *again* for a good face mask as well.
-Olive oil can be used on its own as a face mask and can help you cleanse your face. Just use some warm water on the face, and after that apply olive oil to the face, wait until your face has absorbed it and rinse it off.
-Used as a cleanser, olive oil should help you get rid of all of your acne and blemishes. Rub some olive oil into the skin with circular motions, the imperfections should start coming out of your skin. After you use olive oil, wash your face with a cleanser that contains glycerin.
-I use olive oil when I cannot find or do not own a makeup remover to remove eye and face make up, after that I just follow with my usual skincare routine.
-Face/Body Scrub: Olive oil + a bit of salt and the scrub is ready. The salt removes dead skin cells, while the oil moisturizes the skin. Just remember to be gentle when using it on your face.
-It will also help with scaring and wounds. Apply a generous amount onto those spots every day and watch your face change in front of your eyes.
-Apply some to your chapped lips and it will help for sure.
-Another thing I wanted to mention. I know a lot of women have a problem with hair growth on their upper lip. I personally like to use those depilatory strips you can buy in drugstores. They usually come in a package along with some moisturizing wipes to use afterwards. I find to always use those up quicker than the actual strips. When I find myself in lack of those wipes, I use olive oil to remove any wax that might be left and to moisturize that area.

BODY:

-Shaving! I could not wait to get to this part. I tried to use olive oil instead of a shaving cream. I have to admit: I was very skeptical about it. As soon as I started shaving I was amazed. It was so easy and quick. The razor just glided over my skin. After I rinsed off the residue, it left my skin soft and moisturized. I didn't have to use any lotion because the olive oil did it all.
-Body scrub. I already mentioned it above.
-You can also add a few drops of olive oil to your bath to hydrate your skin.
-Sun bathing: apply some before going into the sun along with the sunscreen and it will help get a better tan.

You can see why I love olive oil so much. :)
Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment